Get in touch with us+44(0)800 009 6007
get in touch

Woman found dead at Wigan Water Park

Police have launched a murder investigation after a woman was found dead in Orrell Water Park in Wigan.

By Jon Francis | Published: 18th June 2017 News Updates

At around 7.20pm on Friday police were called by an 18-year-old woman’s concerned family after she failed to return from college.

This was extremely out of character and police began a search.

Friends of the woman reported that she had last been in Orrell Water Park. Police searched the area and at around 2.30am on Saturday and a body was found.

Formal identification has yet to take place and we are keeping an open mind at this stage.

The woman had sustained head injuries.

Detective Superintendent Howard Millington form GMP’s Major Incident Team said: “First of all my thoughts are with the woman’s family at this devastating time.

“This was a brutal attack on a young woman, the type rarely seen in Greater Manchester.

“We have a full investigation team working on finding out what exactly happened to her and to try and find the person who did this.

“We are appealing for anyone who may have seen anyone in the area acting suspiciously to get in touch with police as soon as possible.

“During our preliminary investigations we have come across a report of two young women being followed by two men in the area on Thursday 15 June 2017. We are keeping an open mind about this however we would like to hear from anyone who may have any information about any recent incidents of this nature.

“I understand that there will be many people in the community extremely worried, things like this don’t happen in Orrell, but I would like to reassure them that we are working as hard as we possibly can to get the answers to all of the questions.

“There will be a large police presence in the area for some time as we investigate and also on the streets surrounding the area as a precaution. If you have any concerns, please speak to our officers.

“This very much an ongoing investigation, we will leave no stone unturned and myself and my team will not stop until we have found out exactly what happened and have brought whoever did this, to justice.”